about the programme
This programme represents a major investment in the grassroots game and offers on-the-ground support to FA Charter Standard Clubs, leagues and target groups.
The FA sees the development of coaches as central to the development of the game, and working collaboratively accelerates learning and supports coaches’ development.
Mentoring support at a club could include:
- Developing a whole club philosophy
- Group coaching demonstrations
- 1:1 coaching, match-day observation and support
- Signposting to relevant courses and events
- Needs analysis for individual coaches
- Modelling of coaching sessions for individual coaches
- Individual feedback
- An individual learning programme
In 2015/16 the FA Coach Mentor Programme supported 9,383 coaches and 615 clubs.
MENTORING IN GUERNSEY
Here in Guernsey we have three FA Coach Mentors supporting coaches within the grassroots game.
During the 2018/19 season we provided 170 hours of mentoring support to a total of 78 coaches which represents an investment of £4250
2017/18: Hours - 67: Investment - £1675: Coaches – 36
2016/17: Hours - 60: Investment - £1500: Coaches – 15
OUTLOOK FOR THE SEASON
For season 2019/20 we will be focusing our coach mentoring support in the following areas :
- Qualification support – If you are due to attend a course or have recently attended a course and would like some help implementing the learning with your players.
- Club Improvement Programme – If you are not part of the Club Improvement Programme but believe an FA Coach Mentor could support your club.
- Coaching in the Female game – If you are a female coach or a coach who works with female players and would like support with your coaching.
- Coaching in the Disability game - If you are a disabled coach or a coach who works with disabled players and would like support with your coaching.
THE FA COACH MENTORING
To find out more about The FA's Coach Mentoring Programme CLICK HERE
MEET THE COACH MENTOR TEAM!
Angus Mackay: email@example.com
"I began my football journey, like many, as a young player. When, unfortunately, I was not successful (as I had hoped) in making a career out of football as a professional player, my interest turned to coaching and football development. I have worked for the Guernsey FA as a Football Development Officer since April 2012, which has involved coaching within a number of different environments and with a wide range of people, including, but not limited to, Primary School PE Lessons, Secondary Schools, Guernsey County FA Teams, SSE Wildcat Centres and Mental Health Groups. More recently, I was successful in becoming an FA Affiliate Tutor for Level 1, Level 2 & Level 3 (UEFA B) Football Coaching Courses, and have been an active tutor across all three levels in Guernsey since 2016. Finally, I have been working as an FA Coach Mentor since the summer of 2019, with my primary focus being the SSE Wildcat Centres in both Guernsey and Jersey."
Steve Sharman: firstname.lastname@example.org
"I have been a PE teacher, University Lecturer and also worked for The Football Association and throughout my career I have been interested in education, mentoring and lifelong learning. The opportunity to become a mentor contributing to the wider football environment on Guernsey is a real privilege and I firmly believe that we have a talented group of coaches that are eager to develop. As an UEFA A Licence coach I fully understand the benefits to continual professional development and hope others use the mentoring scheme to help them move forward."